0

I basically gave up trying to dual boot Ubuntu 18.04 desktop and Windows 10 Pro on the ThinkPad X1 Extreme (i7-8550H w/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-q) I got. I tried every combination of the following, installing Windows 10 fresh every single time:

  • Boot mode: UEFI only w/o CSM, UEFI only w/ CSM, Legacy only w/ CSM
  • Partitions: MBR, GPT
  • Distros (bootable USB using Rufus): Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop, Ubuntu 18.04 Live Server, Ubuntu 18.04 Standard Server, Xubuntu 18.04 Desktop

Live Server and Standard Server, apparently I just wasn't smart enough to setup and get an internet connection going, but was actually able to get into the installation process regardless of Boot Mode. LIve Server wouldn't let you progress in the install without an internet connection and my hours of attempting to setup the WiFi never worked. Same with Standard Server.

Otherwise, the Desktop installations fell into two categories regardless of partition type or distro:

UEFI only w/o CSM: Black screen after selecting Install Ubuntu or Try Ubuntu before installing, so obviously the USB is working. Good resource on this (#3):

My computer boots to a black screen, what options do I have to fix it?

UEFI only w/ CSM or Legacy only w/ CSM: Actually, was able to get into the installation process, but freezes at the very end when asked to restart. Force shut down. Load Ubuntu and then it freezes at the login screen 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time you enter your password to login and it freezes or you actually get in, but then it freezes. Note, this is after letting it sit for 10 minutes, so it is taking extremely long to do simple things.

A variation of this is to enable the following when installing Ubuntu: acpi = off, nolapic, and nomodset. It doesn't freeze at the end of installation when asked to restart. Sounds promising! But then you are met with a white screen and garbage text when you start up the Ubuntu install, like this:

Garbage black text on white screen on a server

So I've had several days to think about this and I think it is a GPU driver issue. Here is why:

  1. Live and Standard server had no issues getting into the Install process under UEFI only w/o CSM; Desktop version did (black screen).
  2. Freezing when loading the OS under UEFI only w/ CSM or Legacy only w/ CSM.
  3. White screen with garbage text iwht nomodset enabled with other options.

So my question is: How do you install the GPU driver when installing Ubuntu desktop in UEFI w/o CSM?

I have Windows installed as UEFI w/o CSM, I have it dialed in, and I'm not trying to do another reformat. Want to install both under UEFI w/o CSM.

Not seeing an option to go into the GRUB2 or bash CLI to make any changes.

enter image description here

  • Welcome to AskUbuntu! It's unclear (at least to me) what GPU you are attempting to support and what driver you are attempting to install. Please edit your question to include the output of sudo lshw -C display and why you think you need to "pre-install" a driver. Thank you for helping us help you! – Elder Geek Mar 21 '19 at 18:32
  • HI, late response on my part. GPU is a GTX 1050 Ti Max-q. I'm thinking I need to install the Linux driver for the card. As far as sudo lshw- C display, I only can get what is seen in the screneshot about. Whether or not I select "Try Ubuntu without installing" or "Install Ubuntu", I just get a black screen. This leads me to believe a driver issue. However, this is is only in UEFI w/o CSM. Other boot configs are just made with tons of freezing on the GUI. Again, making me think a driver issue. – eox.dev Mar 29 '19 at 16:38
  • Did you by any chance attempt to boot with only the nomodeset parameter? You should then be able to provide the output I requested. Cheers! – Elder Geek Mar 29 '19 at 17:49
  • If I switch to Legecy only, and not UEFI only, then I have the option to set nomodeset. I can test this in a few days when the new SSD comes in. – eox.dev Mar 30 '19 at 20:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.