I am get stuck in the (in)famous login loop after installing nvidia gpu drivers. I have Ubuntu 16.04, intel cpu, and nvidia geforce 840m.
I installed (in various way, see below) driver, but when I switch to nvidia card with
sudo prime-select nvidia and reboot, the login loop issue happens. If I switch back to
sudo prime-select intel I manage to login.
Looking here and over the internet I tried various solution:
- Installing various version of the driver (340, 380, 415, 418)
- Installing them in different ways:
sudo apt install nvidia-xxx
sudo apt install nvidia-current
sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
- from software update
- Running the .run file downloaded from nvidia website (last version, 418)
- Restarting lightdm, trying with gdm3 (gnome)
- Secure boot deactivated
- .Xauthority check permission, and also remove it
- nomodeset, acpi=off, acpi_osi= (once at time) in the grub before loading ubuntu
Maybe other that will come up in my mind and I will update here.
Anyone that can help me? I really need to use the nvidia GPU.
Not a duplicate of this because solutions there does not solve my problem.