My Synaptic Touchpad stopped working in the past few weeks.
The touchscreen and external mouse still work so I've been using them to work around it.
The symptoms are:
- Touchpad works on login screen
- Touchpad stops working after login screen
- All other inputs work, including keyboard, touchscreen, external mouse, docking station, etc.
- Doesn't work on Wayland, either.
- F7 key comes up with a square with an X in the bottom-right corner, but the X won't go away no matter how many times I press it.
sudo rmmod usbhid; sudo modprobe usbhidenables the touchpad for a split second.
For the previous few weeks, I've been able to resurrect the touchpad with
sudo rmmod usbhid; sudo modprobe usbhid so I suspect that this issue is in two parts.
xinput list shows:
Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)] ⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)] ⎜ ↳ SYNA7500:00 06CB:780B id=16 [slave pointer (2)] ⎜ ↳ Synaptics T Pad V 01.31 Touchpad id=11 [slave pointer (2)] ⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)] ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)] ↳ Video Bus id=6 [slave keyboard (3)] ↳ Power Button id=7 [slave keyboard (3)] ↳ Integrated_Webcam_FHD: Integrat id=12 [slave keyboard (3)] ↳ Integrated_Webcam_8M: Rear Inte id=13 [slave keyboard (3)] ↳ Intel Virtual Button driver id=14 [slave keyboard (3)] ↳ SYNA7500:00 06CB:780B Pen id=15 [slave keyboard (3)] ↳ Dell WMI hotkeys id=17 [slave keyboard (3)] ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard id=18 [slave keyboard (3)] ↳ Synaptics T Pad V 01.31 Consumer Control id=8 [slave keyboard (3)] ↳ Synaptics T Pad V 01.31 id=9 [slave keyboard (3)] ↳ Synaptics T Pad V 01.31 Wireless Radio Control id=10 [slave keyboard (3)]
I have tried:
- Installing the synaptics driver
- Adding in a libinput filter (which made the
Synaptics T Pad V 01.31 Touchpadabove disappear, but actually made it worse)
- `xinput set-prop 11 "Device Enabled" 1 (0 followed by 1 as well)
- `xinput set-prop 16 "Device Enabled" 1 (0 followed by 1 as well)
This is on kernel 4.18.0-15-generic, but I have also tried going back to 4.17 and it doesn't work, either. I can't roll back to any earlier versions of xserver-xorg-input-* because they don't appear to be available.
I suspect that the touchpad may be programattically disabled (which would explain the X in the F7 status) but I don't know how to programatically re-enable it.
How do I get my touchpad back?