I am going to do my best to explain what happened:
- I had been using Ubuntu 18.04.1, and a friend wanted me to install Drupal on my computer. I followed this guide blindly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKSjO0irgHg (which was a terrible idea since its from 2015).
- The guide instructed me to install tasksel, so I did.
- I then ran 'sudo tasksel'
- In tasksel I selected 'basic ubuntu server', 'LAMP server', and 'postgreSQL database', as well as 'ubuntu desktop' because I figured I just wanted to use Drupal right on my desktop for testing purposes.
- Then in the video, the next step said I just have to enter my mysql password... and since I never had an option to create a mysql password I just assumed the previous step didn't work... so I did steps 3 and 4 again... which without warning uninstalled ubuntu desktop.
- All of the sudden all my sidebar programs were gone and I couldn't access files.. so I restarted my computer and since then whenever I select Ubuntu from grub it just gives me a loading screen forever.
Is it possible to fix this and get into my previous installation of ubuntu desktop? How?
Other answers say to just 'upgrade' ubuntu with a bootable drive.. this doesnt give me a safe option to keep my files. All options say 'will delete all files'
If it's not possible to get into my previous installation, how can I recover my files? They were important :(
Thank you so much for your help.