I am having an issue with my laptop where the login screen only shows if an external monitor is plugged in. When I turn on the power:
- The Grub menu appears (I have dual boot with Windows)
- If I select Ubuntu then it shows the purple loading screen with the Ubuntu logo
- The screen turns black (not even back lighting).
- If I press enter and type in my password like I normally would at the login screen, the back lighting turns on, and then my home screen shows and everything works fine.
If I do this with an external monitor plugged in, then in step 3 the login screen shows on my laptop monitor and I can log in.
If I start with my monitor unplugged, wait for the screen to go black in step 3 then plug in the monitor, the login screen appears.
When I lock the computer the login appears: the problem only happens when booting up.
I tried deleting my
~/.config/monitors.xml file but that didn't work. Any other suggestions?
- Linux 18.04.1
- Kernel 4.15.0-43-generic
- Computer: ASUS Transformer Book Flip TP500LA (https://www.asus.com/2-in-1-PCs/ASUS_Transformer_Book_Flip_TP500LA/)