I have installed Kubuntu 18.04 and I want to get a Chinese pinyin keyboard. I did the following
- sudo apt-get install ibus ibus-gtk ibus-gtk3 ibus-qt4 ibus-clutter
- sudo apt-get install ibus-pinyin
- sudo im-config and selected Ibus and clicked yes
- I opened the Ibus preferences application, it asks me if I want to run ibus-daemon and I clicked "yes". A couple seconds later a window pops up saying "Ibus daemon could not be started in 5 seconds"
- I then go to the terminal and type "ibus-setup" but the same thing happens
After step 5 i got the following message in the terminal
(ibus-daemon:3641): IBUS-CRITICAL **: 15:56:33.697: 15:56:33.697641: ibus_write_address: assertion 'pf != NULL' failed portal is not running: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process org.freedesktop.portal.IBus exited with status 1 Gtk-Message: 15:56:39.247: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
I can select Chinese keyboard layout in the keyboard settings but no Chinese characters show up when I type.
Thanks in advance!