So I've installed Ubuntu in the past, on internal and external drives. However, I can't seem to figure it out currently. The issue is that in UEFI it won't detect the external HDD I want to boot from in my BIOS. It does in Legacy but in Legacy, whether I pick my external or internal drive it asks me to select a bootup disk. The process I took:
- Download Ubuntu 17-10-64-bit
- Using Rufus I turn a 16Gb USB thumb stick into my installation media. It asks me to write in ISO or DD mode, not sure which to choose so I just choose the default aka ISO.
- Booted in UEFI to the USB stick.
- Hit install Ubuntu, went through all the steps to install on my external 500GB WD drive. I'm installing it alongside windows but on a separate drive.
- Here's where I think another issue may lay, it says it needs to restart to finish the installation, so I hit restart and get the text down the screen but it just stops and doesn't continue. So I force shut it down and attempt to boot from the external drive, but it doesn't show in UEFI and won't boot in Legacy as said previously. It also doesn't have any options before windows boots to boot into Ubuntu. So that's where I am now, any help would be appreciated.