- Running Ubuntu 18.04 sever on a physical machine or VirtualBox?
- Do you need/want to use the full native resolution of your screen? Higher than 640x480 / 800x600?
Then you may be stuck as I've been, because the solution that used to work on 14.04 and 16.04 doesn't work on 18.04.
Problems to solve (goals)
hwinfo --framebuffergives an empty output -> find another solution
- adding the usual lines to /etc/default/grub, only helps at the first stage of the boot. After GRUB2 has done its work, the resolution switches back to a lower value -> resolve this too
- exclude xorg based tools like xrandr (this is a server without GUI by default)
- increase VT1-7 (Ctrl+Alt+F1, F2 - F7 ) resolution in case of Desktop systems with a GUI
- set the resolution to 1280x1024