I don't use desktop, so no X-window is involved.
How do I change resolution of text console?
Things I tried:
- Setting in GRUB: by either video=, or GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX, it works - GRUB is displayed in correct resolution, up to 3440x1440, but a second before login prompt appears, it snaps back to 800x600. GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep doesn't work.
- fbset - it doesn't work at all, in Virtualbox I get: "ioctl fbioput_vscreeninfo invalid argument" error, or in case of hardware (Intel BMC - basically Matrox G200, Quadro K2000, K4000, Radeon X550, HD3450, GeForce FX5200 and 760Ti) it is just ignored, like literally nothing happens. Resolution definitions are correct, as far as I can eyeball it in dbfile.
- nomodeset makes no difference
- All my systems are using UEFI.
- This applies to both analog (VGA) displays and those using digital connections.
- This applies to Ubuntu Server 18.04.1 LTS and 18.10.
It's rather uncomfortable at 800x600 - any other ideas?