The national keyboard layout of my computer is in French. I added in the settings language and region another layout (or "input source") which is English (US).
When I switch to that US layout, the typing is US for all apps, however, the shortcut layout stays French in some apps (at least Pycharm and imageJ).
I do not know if it can be of any help, the keyboard input method system is ibus, and the input method config is:
The current configuration for the input method:
* Active configuration: ibus (normally missing)
* Normal automatic choice: ibus (normally ibus or fcitx or uim)
* Override rule:
* Current override choice: (en_GB)
* Current automatic choice: ibus
* Number of valid choices: 3 (normally 1) The override rule is defined in /etc/default/im-config. The configuration set by im-config is activated by re-starting X. Explicit selection is not required to enable the automatic configuration, if the active one is default/auto/cjkv/missing. Available input methods: ibus maliit xim Unless you really need them all, please make sure to install only one input method tool.