The Mullvad GUI does not work on Ubuntu 18.04 which is something they are working on according to their website.
I am running a light weight Ubuntu install using Ubuntu server 18.04 with the i3wm. I am following the instructions to use mullvad with openVPN to avoid the gui issue, but I have hit a brick wall following their instructions on this page https://mullvad.net/en/guides/linux-openvpn-installation/
I following the instructions in section titled "Ubuntu 16.04 or newer using Network-manager". Instructions 8 to 12 is where I am stuck:
- Open a terminal and issue "sudo apt-get install openvpn network-manager-openvpn network-manager-openvpn-gnome"
- Open a browser and go to https://mullvad.net
- Click on Download client
- Click on then under iOS, Android and other platforms click on "Instructions and configuration files"
- Select Android as platform using the drop-down menu.
- Enter your account number, select a country and then click on Download to save the configuration file.
- Network manager does not like inline crl, so please open the downloaded configuration file in an editor and remove the inline crl, remove "" and everything after to "" (including that line) and then save it.
- Click on the Network icon
- Click on VPN-Connections -> Configure VPN
- Click on Add
- Select Import a saved vpn configuration
- navigate to where you saved the downloaded file, select it and then click open
- Enter your mullvad account number as in the User name field and enter "m" in the password field
- Click on Save
- sudo nano -w /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf and change "dns=dnsmasq" to "#dns=dnsmasq" and save.
- Issue "sudo service network-manager restart" in a terminal
- Click on Network icon -> VPN Connections -> Mullvad_** where ** is the country you selected to connect.
Since I am running ubuntu server with a basic window manager gui, I don't have the Network Icon to click and use. Maybe I need to install a package of some kind? to get access to "VPN-connections", although I would rather stay light weight - however I will concede if its the easiest option. Otherwise just wondering if anyone knows a way around this by just altering some config files?