This question already has an answer here:

This is not a duplicate, because previously such question was asked at July 27. The answer was "only several hours passed, you should just wait". Now this answer does not fit. The question is different when asked on August 6 than when it is asked on July 27.

It is August 6, 12:15 UTC time.

I try to upgrade from 16.04.5 to 18.04.1, with do-release-upgrade, and receive "No new release found."

They said that the upgrade will be ready "several days" after 18.04.1 release.

The release was in June 26. It is August 6 now. 11 days passed. Several days?

So the question is, is it only my problem? Or it is a bug in do-release-upgrade? Or they have a problem which they cannot solve yet, and I should just wait a bit more?

marked as duplicate by guiverc, karel, Eric Carvalho, Organic Marble, Nickolai Leschov Aug 11 '18 at 18:19

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • Try selecting "For any new version" for "Notify me of a new Ubuntu version" in Softwares & Updates instead of "For long-term support versions" only. – pomsky Aug 6 '18 at 12:25
  • @pomsky Isn't it the same as do-release-upgrade -d ? – user31264 Aug 6 '18 at 12:26
  • @pomsky - or they have a bug in do-release-upgrade, and what you suggest is workaround around it? – user31264 Aug 6 '18 at 12:28
  • 1
    Unless we find someone here that actually works for Canonical and knows any reason why we are not getting the upgrade to 18.04.1 offers, I don't think we are going to find out here. I have sent an email to Canonical asking them what the hold up is, but I have not heard anything back from them yet. So, I understand the frustration here. Not only doesn't do-release-upgrade without any switches not see an upgrade, neither does the update-manager which uses different code, so I don't think it is a bug. I think it is not released yet, but for whatever reason, I simply don't know. – Terrance Aug 6 '18 at 12:52
  • 1
    Alan Pope on a podcast (talking about one of the prior LTS upgrade paths) talked about this, this is not the first time, and occurs every two years. He referred to the enabling of the LTS to LTS upgrade as a 'tap' that is turned on when certain conditions and a decision is made inside Canonical (but did not say anything about what the makes up that decision, other than it relates to stability). I've heard another Canonical employee refer to it as a "switch"; but either way I agree with Terrance, we don't know any more than we are told, and I suggest wait. There is no security risk in waiting – guiverc Aug 6 '18 at 13:38

I tried to do it with sudo do-release upgrade -d in two different computers, and got bad problems with Gnome. In one computer, I was forced to reinstall everything. So, the answer is: they are still solving problems with Unity to Gnome migration.


I upgraded from 16.04 to 18.04.1 use command:

sudo do-release-upgrade -d

Before execute the command above, make sure you run:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt dist-upgrade

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.