0

On startup, one of my CPU would become maxed out at 100% load. Upon looking pref the kworker is busy with something called alx_. alx appears to be related to the network card Killer E220x Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

With one CPU stuck at 100%, I cannot use the laptop, because at best keyboard cooks my hand slowly at 70C+. A possible solution posted was to disable kworker directly, which isn't ideal (see CPU Core Stuck at 100%). If possible, I would like to fix the problem that causes the spike in kworker load.

  • Version is 1.173.1. I tried the gpe solution, but there is no obvious culprit. They mention that there should be a high gpe value, but mine are all sub 100. – Dan Jul 15 '18 at 18:58
  • I installed the latest firmware and kernal, but the problem persists when I comment off the crontab edits. I am rather confused about what exactly is causing the gpe. When I disable gpe06 the issues goes away. I think 17 might also be an issue. Additionally, it can take a bit before this issue is triggered. For 06, I assume I have to access wifi. – Dan Jul 16 '18 at 3:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.