I am looking to setup a new in-home server using an old laptop.

It will have an external USB drive, which will be a NAS. I will also have a Plex server and the usual LAMP.

Due to the slow 100Mbps ethernet adapter, I want to add a Gigabit "Ethernet to USB adapter". I want to setup the Plex server to use the built in ethernet port, and the NAS and Webserver to use the Gigabit ethernet to usb adapter. As I should be able to get a few more MBs file transfer out of the USB port.

I can't see why this wouldn't be possible. What do you call it when you use more than one ethernet adapter and use different ones from different software?

  • I've edited your question as well i can to make it hopefully more understandable, particularly that you don't want a solution, you just want to know what it's called when you do that. – thomasrutter Jun 19 '18 at 0:01

What you want to do is to bind a service to a specific network interface, ie to a specific ip adress.
It is binding a service to a listening ip address or interface.

There is probably no specific HowTo about doing this, but it is just a part of the configuration process for each of the services you plan to deploy.

  • Thank you, I am looking for 'binding' or so I know now. Thanks. – Zeltig Jun 19 '18 at 4:03

When you have multiple network adapters, your computer will have an IP address on each one, that is unique to that network, so your computer will typically have a different IP address on each adapter.

In a piece of software that listens to incoming network connections you can usually tell it which adapter to listen to (to bind to) usually by telling it which IP address to listen on. By default most software listens on all incoming interfaces, which means it will listen on all adapters at once - and this should not usually lead to conflicts because your computer can handle a request coming in on any interface and will ensure that replies go out on the same interface.

If you really do want to limit a piece of software so it only listens to incoming requests from a particular interface then you'll need to bind it.


I think the term you are looking for is "hybrid network". Various connection methods for a given network.
See these sources:
Definition of: hybrid network
What Are Hybrid Networks?

  • Thanks, cool read. I think I was looking for 'binding' though.. or so I think. Thanks though. – Zeltig Jun 19 '18 at 4:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.