I have recently bought a Dell XPS 15 9570 and have successfully installed Ubuntu 18.04 on it.
Mostly things work as expected, but there are some issues related to power and the nvidia GPU.
Currently, I have 2 issues that I consider major:
- Nvidia GPU stays on by default on boot even when I run
sudo prime-select intel. I can disable it using bbswitch with
sudo tee /etc/acpi/bbswitch <<<OFFfrom the terminal. I would love to be able to disable the graphics card on boot as I only use the laptop for productivity under Linux.
- The laptop is unable to go to sleep when on AC power and bbswitch is reporting that the GPU is OFF. It goes to sleep normally when on battery, but on AC power it goes to sleep but hangs when opening the laptop lid again leaving only hard power-off as an option.
I run Ubuntu 18.04 on a Dell XPS 15 9570 with 16G of RAM, NVidia 1050 TI graphics card, and i7-8750H processor.
Chronological system setup actions
- Install Ubuntu 18.04 using
nouveau.modeset=0to be able to run live image and the installed system for the first time
- Install proper nvidia drivers from
Additional Driverspanel. This installs drivers along with
sudo prime-select intelto pick intel card. Reboot. This makes sure intel card is the one used by the system. However, the discreet card is still on even though it is not in use. This is reported by
cat /proc/acpi/bbswitch. This command returns
0000:01:00 ONwhich indicates that the GPU is ON. Also,
powertopshows discharge rate of ~20W in comparison to ~10W when I manually turn off the GPU through bbswitch.
bbswitchto make sure I can actually disable the discrete card and it works manually with
sudo tee /etc/acpi/bbswitch <<<OFF
Things I have tried
- Tried installing bumblebee as this should take control over bbswitch and disable/enable the discrete GPU when needed. Installing bumblebee leads to a system that I am unable to load. I had to recover the system by going to the root console and purging bumblebee*
- I have tried modifying
bbswitch load_state=0 unload_state=1as suggested on bbswitch GitHub page. This does not work, only if I leave
bbswitchthere it loads bbswitch, but then I need to disable the GPU manually.
Any ideas are welcome. Also feel free to ask me for more details. It is really frustrating that such an otherwise perfect laptop suffers from these issues under Ubuntu.