I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 on my laptop, and I have an external monitor connected via HDMI. Normally, my screen turns off after 10 minutes of inactivity or after I lock the screen. This sets off a series of events:
- The laptop screen turns off.
- The external monitor goes to sleep.
- Ubuntu seems to think the external monitor has been detached, and it refreshes the display.
- My laptop screen turns back on, in single display mode.
- The external monitor turns back on, and the display refreshes again to dual display mode.
- After a period of inactivity, repeat from #1.
This happens over and over again indefinitely, preventing both displays from ever turning off. Since I rely on this feature to automatically lock my computer after inactivity, it's also a security concern.
Is there any way to prevent this problem?