I did a speed test for my ubuntu and the wifi connection is capable of speeds up to 55 mbps but usually, it stays less than 1 mbps. My phone which is on the same wifi has speeds of about 50 mbps. I've tried disabling ipv6, it made no difference so I enabled it. I tried to force disable the 802.11n protocol with
sudo rmmod iwlwif
but I get this error: rmmod: ERROR: Module iwlwif is not currently loaded
So i am guessing 802.11n is disabled already? my wireless card is
sudo lshw -c network *-network description: Ethernet interface product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. physical id: 0 bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0 logical name: enp2s0 version: 10 serial: d0:17:c2:1c:83:10 size: 10Mbit/s capacity: 1Gbit/s width: 64 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half firmware=rtl8168g-3_0.0.1 04/23/13 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s resources: irq:16 ioport:d000(size=256) memory:dfb04000-dfb04fff memory:dfb00000-dfb03fff *-network description: Wireless interface product: RTL8821AE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. physical id: 0 bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0 logical name: wlp3s0 version: 00 serial: b0:c0:90:68:76:0b width: 64 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8821ae driverversion=4.13.0-37-generic firmware=N/A ip=192.168.50.100 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11 resources: irq:17 ioport:c000(size=256) memory:dfa00000-dfa03fff
Keep in mind that at home, my internet wifi works fine after hours of finding the right drivers for my realtek wireless card. But at work it is barely working. I got the drivers from this page
but instead of pulling from rtlwifi_new I pulled from rtlwifi_new-master. It gave me errors when I pulled from rtlwifi_new
cd Desktop cd rtlwifi_new-master make sudo make install sudo modprobe -rv rtl8821ae sudo modprobe -v rtl8821ae ant_sel=2 sudo ip link set wlp3s0 up sudo iw dev wlp3s0 scan echo "options rtl8821ae ant_sel=2" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/50-rtl8821ae.conf
Right now I'm going to try ant_sel=1 or X to see if it makes a difference.
Thank you so much for the help!!