I currently have 12.04 LTS installed and was trying to update to 16.04.4 LTS however I got myself in a bit of mire :(.
- I created a bootable USB containing 16.04.4 LTS and installation was going great until the end when I got hit with an error message
grub-efi-amd64 package failed to install...
- I repeated above and obtained same error however in doing so I added another partition to my disk resulting in 2 copies of 16.04.4 getting written.
- I have checked some answers and tried some stuff to resolve without success
- Booted from USB and ran try Ubuntu & installed/ran boot_repair and generated a boot-info file
- I then tried to run Gparted to remove the last installation of 16.04.4 - so deleted sda6 partition.
- Reran boot-repair to get boot-info
- The file has some comments about what needs done - looking for sanity check before I commit to running boot-repair in repair mode
I checked system BIOS settings and boot order defined for both UEFI & Legacy support / Legacy support enabled & secure boot disabled If any other information is needed let me know.