The project page mentions
tracker-preferences but I don't have this command with version
tracker-preferences is from the
tracker-gui package, but the package is not available for Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark. In fact in Artful, tracker is not installed by default.
For other supported versions (Trust and Xenial) You may have to install the
tracker-gui package first in order to run
Update for Ubuntu 20.04
In Ubuntu 20.04 and 19.10, the package
tracker-preferences is not available. To configure what folders and files Tracker indexes, as well as other settings such as indexing while on battery:
- Install dconf Editor, either in Terminal via
sudo apt install -y dconf-editoror in Ubuntu Software.
- Run dconf Editor (search for it in the desktop search).
- In dconf Editor, browse to org > freedesktop > Tracker > Miner > Files
- Carefully modify the settings for Tracker
- When you are done, simply close dconf Editor
This can all me done via the command line as well via
gsettings. To view the available settings, use:
gsettings list-recursively org.freedesktop.Tracker.Miner.Files
For more information on Tracker, read the useful but hard-to-find Tracker FAQ.