I tried to install chrome in my ubuntu 14.04 64amd with :

 apt-get install google-chrome-stable

but when I run


I get this error :

ERROR:nacl_fork_delegate_linux.cc(316)] Bad NaCl helper startup ack (0 bytes)


Just a hint, I'm using SSH to connect to the server.

And I'm running a non root User.

What should I do ?

  • It appears that you might be running as root (if you weren't, you would have to run sudo apt-get...). Trying to run Chrome as root is not a good idea, and is the cause of your issue. As a test, please run google-chrome as a non-root user and report back the results. Resource: unix.stackexchange.com/q/175967/60677
    – richbl
    Feb 13 '18 at 22:21
  • I created a normal user with adduser and the problem persists Feb 13 '18 at 22:23
  • @MoatezBouhdid, but did you log in as that user ? If you are on the command line / in a terminal - type id to see which user (and user id) you currently are. If you want to change to your new user, you can do that with su - <username> or sudo su - <username> Feb 14 '18 at 9:32
  • Yeah, I'm sure, I'm on a user called desktop and not root Feb 14 '18 at 9:55
  • I tried that and it didn't work Feb 14 '18 at 14:25

Since you are using chrome on a remote server, via SSH, you need to enable X11 forwarding on your server, where you connect to with ssh.

Add X11Forwarding yes into your /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the server, with an editor

sudo nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config

and restart the ssh service

/etc/init.d/ssh restart 

then connect to it with a new (!) ssh session

ssh -X username@my-chrome-host 

and try to open chrome again.

If you don't want to enter -Xevery time you connec to this host, you can also modify your client config

nano .ssh/config

add a portion for your host

Host my-chrome-host
ForwardX11 yes

or to have it always enabled you can use wild-cards

Host *
ForwardX11 yes

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.