Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu-related questions. It's also a place to share knowledge about Ubuntu.
Before posting any Questions/Answers please follow the Ubuntu Code of Conduct and this Expected Behavior guide when participating in this community.
Questions you may ask:
Running third-party applications on Ubuntu.
Development on Ubuntu.
Services provided by Ubuntu and Canonical.
Any questions not mentioned below or here are great!
Questions you should avoid:
- Questions regarding Linux distributions which are not covered above, even if they are "based on" Ubuntu or Debian. This includes, but is not limited to: Linux Mint, Elementary OS, Kali Linux, and Pop!_OS. For questions regarding non-Canonical, non-Ubuntu distributions, try our friends at Unix & Linux Stack Exchange.
- Questions regarding Ubuntu releases past their "End of Standard Support" or "End of Life" dates (whichever is earlier) unless the question is asking how to upgrade to a supported release.
- Bug reports. See How do I submit a bug?.
- Questions about not-yet-released versions of Ubuntu ("the next version", Ubuntu+1). See More information about Alpha and Beta release issues.
- Questions that are primarily opinion-based, such as shopping or hardware recommendations.
- Other topics that are not directly related to Ubuntu, its community, or officially supported derivatives.
Information needed when creating a question:
- Apply as many tags as makes sense. We get a lot of traffic so it's in your best interest to spend a few minutes making your question show up the right section.
- If a question involves any hardware issues, provide relevant information (Eg: If your question is about a graphics issue, provide video card type, video drivers and anything related to it)
- Questions should show as much information about your problem as possible. The more work and time you put on your question, the easier, faster and better the answers will be.
- Make sure the Question's title shows what the problem is about. Asking "Ubuntu has problem" is not the same as "Unity not loading after installing Ati drivers". Be specific about it.
- Remember that we can only help you using the information you have provided on the question. If your question lacks information, a solution will take more time to arrive.
For more help, see "What types of questions should I avoid asking?" If you have a question about the site that is not answered in this FAQ, check our community-maintained FAQ, and more generally our meta-discussion site.
If your question is not specifically on-topic for Ask Ubuntu, it may be on topic for another Stack Exchange site. If no site currently exists that will accept your question, you may commit to or propose a new site at Area 51, the place where new Stack Exchange communities are democratically created.