For questions about the Secure Boot feature read and use: secure-boot
UEFI firmware provides several technical advantages over a traditional BIOS system:
- Ability to boot from large disks (over 2 TiB) with a GUID Partition Table, GPT.
- CPU-independent architecture
- CPU-independent drivers
- Flexible pre-OS environment, including network capability
- Modular design
Excerpt from Wikipedia article about UEFI
- Some computers support legacy booting, but this feature is not available on all devices and planned to be phased out.
- Some UEFI firmware implementations from computer manufacturers only support booting through
\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFIfrom the EFI System Partition, not honoring commands to boot a certain UEFI NVRAM boot entry.
Troubleshooting the following error GRUB messages when trying to boot Windows:
error: can't find command drivemap. error: invalid EFI file path