Empathy uses Telepathy for protocol support and has a user interface based on Gossip. Empathy is the default chat client in current versions of GNOME, making it easier for other GNOME applications to integrate collaboration functionality using Telepathy.
- Multi-protocol: Google Talk (Jabber/XMPP), MSN, IRC, Salut,
- AIM, Facebook, Yahoo!, Gadu Gadu, Groupwise,
- ICQ and QQ. (Supported protocols depend on installed
Telepathy Connection Manager components.) Supports all protocols supported by Pidgin.
File transfer for XMPP, and local networks.
- Voice and video call using SIP, XMPP and Google Talk.
Some IRC support.
- Sharing and viewing location information.
Private and group chat (with smileys and spell checking).
- Automatic away and extended away presence.
- Automatic reconnection using Network Manager.
- Python bindings for libempathy and libempathy-gtk
- Support for collaborative applications (“tubes”).