Tag Info

Hot answers tagged

16

There is no limitations by default. The new user can take all of free space unless you install special quota program. To install it in Ubuntu, you have to write in Terminal: sudo apt-get install quota There are plenty of tutorials on how to use quota in Linux around the Internet, just search "quota ubuntu". For quick start, you may use this tutorial.


8

When a new user is created some KByte for his personal folder are allocated. When the users uses his account some more space is used for config files, caches etc. Depending on the programs used and their settings (like browser cache size) this may grow into a few GByte. Usually the biggest thing are the personal files a user stores in his account.


5

In a default Ubuntu install everything is installed into one big partition (after setting aside some for swap), so the system and all users will share the one big space. There are no per-user limits by default except that regular users are not permitted any more space once 95% of the partition is filled. This leaves the remaining 5% usable only by system ...


3

The reboot you do only flushes the file system buffer. You can manually clean the file system buffer by running sync. man sync: sync, syncfs - commit buffer cache to disk So after you do sudo apt-get clean do sync and then run df to get the updated values. Related: How do you empty the buffers and cache on a Linux system?


2

We may use pidof to determine the PID(s) of an application for iotop sudo iotop -p $(pidof chromium-browser | sed -r 's/[ ]+/ -p /g') For any other command needing a different separator of the PID list replace the separator in the sed command, e.g. top -p $(pidof chromium-browser | sed -r 's/[ ]+/,/g') sudo lsof -p $(pidof chromium-browser | sed -r 's/[ ...


1

For your first question, df -h reports the file system disk space usage in human readable form. Human readable because it reports size as in kb, mb or gb and not purely in bytes, whereas df -i reports the inode information instead of block usage. inode in layman's terms is data about a file. Some space is required to store the data about the files in your ...


1

You seem to be running a Wubi system, which is not recommended. You haven't installed Ubuntu to your harddisk. Instead, you have a file that is stored on a Windows file system that is used to create a virtual harddisk. That file is 10GB large and is almost full. How much free space you have on the real disk is irrelevant. Windows can damage a Wubi install if ...



Only top voted, non community-wiki answers of a minimum length are eligible