Until recently, Firefox on my machine used the standard Unity global menu. However, recently the menu is no longer global and, strangely, is centered. See this screenshot:
firefox-globalmenu is installed, the extension is enabled on the Add-ons page, and all other programs work as expected. Furthermore, the menu is as expected in a guest session.
Here are the extensions I have enabled:
- Adblock Plus 2.0.3
- AutoPager 0.7.1.2
- Firebug 1.9.0
- Flagfox 4.1.11
- Global Menu Bar Integration 2.0.2
- InstantFox 2.6.1
- Searchbar Autosizer 1.5.7
- Tab Scope 1.1.3
- Ubuntu Firefox Modifications 1.0.2
- United States English Spellchecker 5.0.1 (frequently fails to check spelling, allowing words like "spekk" and rejecting all contractions such as "can't")
- Unity Integration for Firefox 0.2.4
How can I get the global menu back?
(This is Ubuntu Oneiric [11.10] with Firefox 9.0.1.)
I restarted in safe mode (all add-ons disabled). Here's what I saw (note that the only change is that the menubar is no longer centered):
Next, I renamed
~/.mozilla to try a fresh profile. The problem was cured. However, I consider this to be an unacceptable solution since I have a lot of settings, add-ons, stored data, etc., etc. that would be lost with a fresh profile, only some of which is covered by Firefox Sync. A solution that involves lost data is no solution.