I did a clean install from ISO DVD. It boots only to command-line, asking for login. After I login and enter STARTX my desktop appears and some of the stuff actually works, but there are a lot of problems:
- there is no way to reboot or shut down except to stopx/logoff and enter shutdown
- sound system doesn't respond.
- pulse audio volume control gives "connection failed, connection refused"
- DVD drives not available
- GDebi Package installer is grayed out and so I can't use it (but synaptic package manager works OK)
- Software Center won't start when clicked -- it just stops trying
- DBus cant run because it says
/usr/local/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socketfile not found (also
/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socketfile not found)
There's just a lot of things wrong and I can't help but think something is missing or was mis-coded in the distro so that there are typos in some script somewhere. If anyone can tell me where to begin to untangle this mess I'd appreciate it, but I think it all begins when it can't start the GUI automatically and I need to enter STARTX.