Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've identified a bug in XSane and have a four-line fix for it. I'm a little confused as to where I should go to have this fix incorporated... Should I submit a bug report to Ubuntu, Debian, XSane, or all three?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

XSane is in universe and from looking at it it looks like we import this package from Debian. However it seems the author does not read that list.

In this case I would file the bug and post to the XSane mailing list (I can't seem to find a bug tracker for XSane) and then file a bug in the Debian BTS pointing to the fix.

If the XSane guys take your fix then you're basically done, but having the bug report in the BTS would be a way for the maintainer to see that there's a new fix going upstream that he might be interested in.

Then at some point we get the version in Debian. You can also file a bug in Launchpad but it's probably not needed.

In your case you mention that the project hasn't made a release in a year, in that case filing a bug in Debian is the appropriate thing to do and attach your patch.

share|improve this answer
That's the SANE mailing list, which the XSane author does not read at present. I guess I email him direct instead. There's not been a release in a year though - is there benefit in getting a patch in at the Debian or Ubuntu level, or does that create too much work? – Matt Jan 9 '12 at 12:56
Good info, I've updated my answer. – Jorge Castro Jan 9 '12 at 13:40
bug reporting is here with a link to the bug tracker... – fossfreedom Jan 9 '12 at 16:36
@fossfreedom Cool, I'd assumed that SANE wouldn't be interested in XSane issues. – Matt Jan 9 '12 at 18:09

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.