Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've stuck when I installed the Mate package , not only I can't update my system more but also I can't open the software center and synaptic packet manager !

How can I remove the mate with all its details from my ubuntu machine ?

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

If you have install MATE via the linux mint repository, then you will have upgraded many of the core ubuntu packages. You will find it very difficult to "remove" MATE after this sort of upgrade. I would suggest a restore from backup or just a complete reinstall...

However - if your concern is that software center/synaptic is not working then you can fix this as per the linked question.

N.B. IMHO the better way to experiment with MATE is per my answer here: How to install MATE in 11.10 and above

Linked Question:

  1. How to I fix software center after installing the Linux Mint MATE desktop?
share|improve this answer
Can I get backup from the softwares ? – user39632 Dec 28 '11 at 20:38
not sure I understand the question - if you are asking how do I do a disk image of the installation then use something like CloneZilla - you then will have a good backup that you can simply restore if your installation goes bad for whatever reason. – fossfreedom Dec 28 '11 at 20:40
Can you guide me step by step and exactly ? – user39632 Dec 28 '11 at 21:05
that really is another question you could ask... however there is an excellent step-by-step guide here: – fossfreedom Dec 28 '11 at 21:08
I shouldn't do it ( installing the mate ) , i won't install any shell in the future , How can I backup metasploit updates ? – user39632 Dec 28 '11 at 21:13

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.