Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I finally got around to installing Ubuntu 11.10 on my laptop. I played around with Unity for a while, but wasn't a fan, so I installed Gnome-Shell. On my Ubuntu 11.04 machine I was able to drag a Window to the edge of the current workspace and have it switch workspaces. How can I achieve this same functionality in Gnome-Shell?

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

If you know Javascript, you can write an extension. Otherwise, AFAIK, there is no way to do this in GNOME Shell.

share|improve this answer
Bummer. After some further research, your right. This is disappointing, but I guess it is a minor change I have to deal with. Thanks – jayeag00 Dec 14 '11 at 21:44

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.