Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top
$ set frog pets
$ echo $1_$2

man set is not bringing me anything =( neither is which set or whereis set

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

set is a bash shell command

If you type man bash and then search for /abef should move to the section that describes set and the various available.

To confirm that you are using a shell built command you can run:

type command

if the message command is a shell builtin is the output, then you can find the help for these types of commands via

help [shell_command]

for example:

help set

As an added bonus you can pipe the output into either more or pager to enable page-by-page scrolling i.e.

help | more


help | pager

(with thanks @psusi & @eljunior & @andrewsomething)

share|improve this answer
Or try help set – psusi Dec 5 '11 at 2:26
when in doubt, always do type COMMAND to see if you are using the command or a shell-builtin function. When it is a builtin, help COMMAND | pager will give you the help with a cool pager. :) – elias Dec 5 '11 at 15:35
Thanks guys for your comments. Answer has been updated – fossfreedom Dec 5 '11 at 18:32

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.