Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. It's 100% free.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Sometimes applications in the Software Center are outdated and several years old. For instance the version of QtGain is several years old.

Who should I contact to report this?

share|improve this question

You will actually want file a "needs packaging" bug and contact the package maintainer, not the developer of the software (although sometimes they are the same person).

The 'needs packaging' bug will need to be filed on launchpad against Ubuntu

To find the package maintainer, you can either search for the package on or from the command line with

apt-cache show <packagename>

You could then send the maintainer an email with the bug number.

share|improve this answer
+1 More precise than me! Unless the maintainer is packed and gone, of course, as can be the case in software that has only a small audience. – Félix Saparelli Dec 3 '11 at 22:09

The developer of the software. For very old projects, they may not be interested in updating the application, in that case you could look for an alternative (or fix it yourself :)

In the case of QtGain, though, it seems to have been updated only a few months ago, and there is some sort of support thread on the QtGain page at The developer is known as Vegeta, and the only way to contact him seems to be through the afore-mentioned thread.

Note that the versions of applications in the Software Center (or the repo) are often not the very latest ones; in case of large gaps between the latest version and the in-repo version, you should contact the package's maintainer, or simply use the latest version and bypass the Software Center / package manager entirely (for that software).

share|improve this answer
IMHO, it's better to look for an alternative than contacting the developer of the software, unless there is none. You don't want the pain of having to contact the developer every time something breaks as if you are the lone user of the app. – its_me Dec 3 '11 at 14:00
Not all developers are the packagers of their software, so it's better to look up the package maintainer rather than the developer. – tgm4883 Dec 3 '11 at 16:46
I've emailed apachelogger who is supposed to be the maintainer. No answer yet though. – Rom Raptor Dec 6 '11 at 21:25

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.