My 11.10 install from live cd onto lenovo thinkpad (refurbished) got almost all the way through (I'd picked 'install' not 'try'), then it told me the installer crashed and suggested solutions. The dialog box then popped up over and over again until finally I shut the power off. I have no other operating system installed so options are limited.
What happens now: I put in the cd, press power, computer powers up, the screen is black, eventually with a flashing cursor top left (sometimes shows the thinkpad splash screen for a few seconds first). This does not change no matter how long I wait. If I power up and press F12 for BIOS and select boot from CD, still nothing happens.
I have tried:
- making sure laptop is cool
- checking hardware requirements - IBM 2.2GHZ, 2048MB, 100GB. I am not sure about the graphics card but I am guessing Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M (NVIDIA NB8M-GS) or Quadro FX 570M (NVIDIA NB8P-GL)
- burning a new cd and trying it on another laptop (cd worked fine)
- made sure it is the 32bit iso
- installing from a USB stick
- burning alt-install cds for 11.10 and 10.03
- an 8.04 livecd from the library
- changing out the dvd/cd drive for an identical one in my old thinkpad (not 100% sure that drive is ok either though, because that laptop is not working either. I think that's a graphics or screen issue though)
- installing Debian 'netinst' just so I can get in there, but the exact same thing happens - black screen, white cursor.
I am a new ubuntu user. I have been getting very good help on ubuntu forums, but time is running out - I will only have this borrowed computer for a little while longer, so I am asking here to - more heads the better!
Thank you so much for reading this far.