Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have been using gnome-mplayer 1.0.4 with xubuntu 11.10 and it has a number of bugs. I have been reporting these on

Anyhow... the dev says there is a newer version 1.05 with a code rewrite which should fix some.

How do I ask for this to be considered for commit into the ubuntu repo's (testing) ?

do I just add it here...

share|improve this question
Does it fix any security issue? if not forget about it... – Uri Herrera Dec 2 '11 at 20:01

From what I've read, Canonical's team is really strict about changing a working release. But the good news is that Ubuntu is never more than 6 months late: It will come out in the next release. You can manually install the newer version (from an early or Debian-specific package, or from source) while you wait.

Incidentally, I know of a program (wesnoth) which managed to find its latest version into Ubuntu's repos by making a new package. The old package (at the time) was called wesnoth, and offered version 1.6; the new program was called wesnoth-1.8.

That ensured that anyone who's depending on the bugs or features of the previous version get to keep them, while others consciously upgrade.

share|improve this answer
Development pre-releases have a less strict policy, but I assume you want the stability of the released version. – jpaugh Dec 2 '11 at 20:28

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.