Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How are they called? What packages do they belong to? It is useful for configuring them via dconf, reporting bugs and so on but hard to find out. I remember there was similar question for 11:04 but cannot find it.

These are the indicators on my system: Indicators in my sessin

There are ten, the last one on the left is Tomboy, the rest is more or less default (the second from the left is displayed only if more than one keybord layout is used). What are their names? And the names of their packages?

share|improve this question
Tomboy, Keyboard layout, Message, battery, bluetooth, Network manager, volume, clock applet of gnome, what is left of me menu, power cog. – Uri Herrera Nov 21 '11 at 9:38
up vote 2 down vote accepted

From left to right

  1. Tomboy
  2. Keyboard layout (gnome-settings-daemon)
  3. MessagingMenu (indicator-messages)
  4. Power (indicator-power)
  5. Bluetooth (gnome-bluetooth)
  6. Network manager network-manager-gnome
  7. Sound menu (indicator-sound)
  8. Time and Date (indicator-datetime)
  9. MeMenu (indicator-session)
  10. Session menu (indicator-session)
share|improve this answer
Thanks. That almost answers it. But upon reading the reply, I would like to know which packages are behind those indicators (after all, that is what one needs to know when reporting bugs). – sup Nov 21 '11 at 11:22

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.