Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What's the command for executing this "gksudo" (or whatever it is) window from Alt+F2?

cool gksudo

share|improve this question
I cannot understand what are you asking. Can you clarify, plase? – enzotib Nov 11 '11 at 18:22
WoW, very good picture i love transparent things – Black Block Nov 26 '11 at 21:58
That window doesn't look like quite the same thing I get on my stock GNOME Shell install. Perhaps it has been themed, in which case a link to the theme used in an answer below would be quite helpful. – Christopher Kyle Horton Dec 14 '11 at 22:47

That cool window in GNOME Shell is only displayed for applications that use PolicyKit. For example, to trigger this window for Synaptic, run this in a terminal:

pkexec synaptic

You can't use pkexec for all applications but only for those that have a pkexec policy file under /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/.

share|improve this answer
However, it doesn't work when you launch it from Alt+F2 – Alfredo Hernández Nov 11 '11 at 22:25
then why all programs not using PolicyKit, and is it work for unity also??? – Black Block Nov 26 '11 at 21:59
Yes, it works under Unity (but it looks different). – Alin Andrei Sep 4 '14 at 15:54

For this you can use the command gksu-polkit. It largely behaves the same as gksudo, but taps into the policykit framework. To use it install the package 'gksu-polkit'.

share|improve this answer

The command is: gksudo synaptic

share|improve this answer
Actually, as this answer states, this is pkexec rather than gksu or gksudo. – Eliah Kagan Nov 11 '11 at 20:21
It is indeed pkexec, not gksu(do). This answer is plain wrong. – Victor Feb 24 '13 at 10:21

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.