Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have three partitions on my netbook:

  1. ntfs with windows 7
  2. ext 4 with Ubuntu 11 and
  3. fat32 for my private data

On the fat32-Partition Ubuntu und Windows 7 should share my private data.

How could I move my home directory with the exiting files to the fat32-partition? And how do I mount this partition permanently as my home-directory?

Many thanks for an helpful answer.

share|improve this question
Shortly, you don't want /home on a fat32 partition. See also: – Takkat Nov 9 '11 at 8:45
You may share single folders on the FAT32 partition. See this question on how to automount your partition. – Takkat Nov 9 '11 at 8:53
in a very short comment: you shouldnt and now a days it will probably break your system. – Bruno Pereira Nov 9 '11 at 9:06
up vote 6 down vote accepted

As per my point of view please understand the merit and demerit of moving home folder to other file system

NTFS is not suitable for an home partition, there are certain type of file system objects (character devices, named pipes, etc) which are required for certain services but are not supported on NTFS. source

It's not a good idea to have the whole of /home in a fat32 or NTFS partition because those two Windows filesystems don't support Linux permissions. Also, the /home folder has many hidden files and folders (these have a leading . i.e for hidden files) for configuration and I don't know what effect this would have in Vista, or whether Vista would interfere with these..

But what I do is to have a separate NTFS partition for data and set up symlinks from my /home in Linux and whatever the equivalent is in Windows (links? shortcuts? ). So - say I have a 'Music' folder in my NTFS data partition, then I create a symlink called 'Music' in my Linux home and a link called - yes, you've guessed it - 'Music' in Windows My Documents. (I'm using XP.) In fact I also multiboot several Linux distros, so I do the same in each. Whichever distro/OS I'm in I can access the same files from my home folder by double-clicking on the symlinks (which look like folders with bendy arrows in Linux)

If I am wrong correct me

share|improve this answer
That seem to be quite good, but how I create this symlinks? – Himmi Nov 9 '11 at 10:42
+1 for symlinks. Simlinks in Windows XP are called junctions. See: – lgarzo Nov 9 '11 at 12:44
I used Win7. There you can change the path of some folder (like Photos) by right click --> properties --> path. But how does it goes at ubuntu 11. – Himmi Nov 9 '11 at 13:27
Please use blockquote while using part of other user's writing. Thanks – Anwar Shah Nov 8 '12 at 17:13

Follow these commands

usermod -d /home/your_home_directory USERNAME

chown -R USERNAME /new_location/your_home_directory

share|improve this answer
You can't chown or usermod on a FAT32 partition – Takkat Nov 9 '11 at 8:45

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.