Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. It's 100% free.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I do a lot of webdesigning, and often I have to compare the browser-rendered results to the layouts. Is box so-and-so really 25px away from box such-and-such.

Yet for every aspect there is a different tool, so the whole work-flow kind of blows.

I do not want to use gimp to measure the layouts, and I do not want to use some browser-extension to verify how things are rendered in the browsers.

I want a unified experience. I want a tool that runs independent from the browser/image-viewer.

The best thing I could compare my fictional program to would be gcolor2, which is a universal color picker. Only I do not just want to pick colors, I want to measure any thing that is rendered on my desktops as pixel-perfect as possible. And that includes a zoom-option, as it would be insane to try to measure a few pixels while having a resolution of 1680x1050.

And it should be easy to use, the workflow of of gimp2 is not that bad, downsides being it only works in gimp, gimp has an incredible starting time, and it strangely hides the box-dimensions whenever I let lose of the left mouse button after sizing the appropriate box and effectively hiding the very information I was looking for in the first place.

I hope I have made myself clear and look forwards to your recommendations :)

Sidebar: Trying to be a good questioner I did a apt-cache search and stumbled upon kruler, a tool which gets the idea, but isn't very well executed from the usability perspective. So not an option.

share|improve this question
possible duplicate of What is a good pixel ruler? – Parto Jun 14 '14 at 10:58
up vote 2 down vote accepted

The concept of kruler seems to be just a ruler. And its alternatives are simple:


ScreenRuler lets you measure objects on your Ubuntu desktop using six different metrics.

enter image description here

There are probably some other options for an on screen ruler but they are probably far from which you wish in a single solution for all your needs.

BTW: Another excellent color picker, compared to gcolor2 to would be the Agave.

enter image description here

If you are using Compiz, you can activate your "Magnifier" and name a key bindings in order to use it.

enter image description here

enter image description here

There is probably not an all-in-one solution for your needs but a combination of tools may do the trick for you.

Good luck!

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.