Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I would like to change the displayed name of the keyboard layout indicator — for example, right now mine reads en, ru or uk which does not look nice on the panel. Is it possible?

Can I edit some configuration file and make it read English, Russian or Ukrainian?

share|improve this question
I have found this solution, but it have been four years, so from the fact that my xkb folder is empty I guess keyboard layout indicator display method have changed. – Somebody Nov 1 '11 at 10:17

I recommend you have a read through the Community Documentation for custom keyboard layout definitions.

The basic keyboard mapping package is XKB. In current Ubuntus, the default directory is not /etc/X11/xkb but rather /usr/share/X11/xkb. Layouts are kept in the symbols directory therein: they are generally named by a two letter country code associated with the language for which the layout is designed.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.