I have a Toshiba Satellite L745-S4210. I did a full install of Ubuntu 11.04 from a CD. I don't have Windows 7 on the computer. My internal speakers work but the external speakers will not. When I say external speakers I mean the speakers on my desk that plug into the headphone jack.I have tried changing settings under the sound menu in system settings.
closed as off topic by Marco Ceppi♦ Feb 2 '12 at 23:54
Questions on Ask Ubuntu are expected to relate to Ubuntu within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.
Ubuntu 11.10 was released a few days ago. If you have no compelling reason to use the older version (11.04), I suggest downloading and installing 11.10. It is likely to be better equipped for your hardware.
Does this help?
I had a similar issue that could be related and the same fixed might work.
Sound not coming out of speakers, only headphones, on laptop FIXED.
The speakers on my laptop Dell Studio XPS 1640 were not working after experimenting with several modules and models, I decided to give it a try on Windows (should've try it sooner, try it first if you are doing double boot), I was expecting them to work but they did not, which meant it was a problem in the hardware not the codecs, module or model.
The codec of my sound card is using on Ubuntu 11.10 is 'STAC92HD73', I added the following option to my alsa-base.conf file and rebooted.
add this at the end of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
After reboot sound is comming out from both laptop speakers and headphone jacks (at the same time, but no biggie just go to sound settings and select 'analog headphones' for output when only listening to headphones), it seems the headphone jack-detection broke and that is why sound was not comming out of the speakers. Adding the no-jd (no jack detection) fixed the issue.
Hope this helps, it was driving me nuts for the last two weeks.