Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I basically seek a way to "bridge" the internet connection coming into my linux machine through one ethernet port (on the mother board's NIC) and share it with another computer connected to a separate ethernet port (on a NIC using PCI). In doing this, I hope to enable both computers to have internet access, using just one available internet connection. Any ideas?

The common answer of "stop being cheap, just buy a router" won't work since it's for 2 school computer for which that isn't an option. Neither computer has Wi-Fi either.

share|improve this question
+1 - Interesting question. – Nathan Osman Oct 15 '11 at 4:37
------bump------- – AMomchilov Oct 17 '11 at 2:27
I'm afraid that that doesn't bump the question - but you can attract some more attention for your question by offering a bounty 48 hours after your question was asked. – Nathan Osman Oct 17 '11 at 3:06
52 more minutes until then :D – AMomchilov Oct 17 '11 at 3:28

Basically, you want to turn your machine into a router, you probably don't really want to bridge your ethernet connections. Setting up a NATing router is simpler and more common, so there's more documentation on how to do it.

This link hits the high points of how to do that:

share|improve this answer
i'll try that, thx :) – AMomchilov Nov 10 '11 at 0:48

Ull need crossover cable and to share connection by in network settings wired Add new and in there IPv4 choose Method Share to other computers AND in other comp auto DHCP default setting should auto connect.

Ive done that myself and since u ask this question that means u also dont have wired router or bridge. And thats good couse they will need one more power place to use. BUt this needs 1st comp to be on all the time.

So problem remains in getting crossover cable. Either finding where is possible buying or making or ordering some it cable guy to make one or if u have tools try urself

Or i can give u one witch i have :)

BUT u might not need crossover if ur ehternet card has Auto-MDIX capability.

So just 1st try with usual cable both cards if any auto crossovers signal to reciever comp and makes it work otherwise find all card specs using theyr names from terminal command lspci in google and change them in computers. If no succes- crossover cable rocks.

share|improve this answer
I already made my own crosser cable :D – AMomchilov Nov 10 '11 at 18:45
then all is working with setting 1 shared connection. – Kangarooo Nov 12 '11 at 13:06

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.