I have tried various tricks I could find to install the global menu on Xfce and LXDE on the latest Oneiric, but nothing worked. Does anyone have an idea on how to do that? Thanks.
Here's what I've tried so far:
- the gnome global menu panel plugin (for lucid) via the xfapplet plugin (not in the official repos anymore) that can embed GNOME plugins into the Xfce panel - unfortunately, the globalmenu doesn't show up in the xfapplet list of available GNOME plugins (there's only one item in it)
- all instructions from an older question about globalmenu and its duplicate
- compiling manually the latest version from gnome2-globalmenu
- there is another question along with a solution for Xfce 4.8, but it's not working on Oneiric. It is also proposing to install the global menu applet from GNOME using it via xfapplet.
- I've even found an Xfce-plugin for the global menu, but it keeps crashing when I add it to the panel - also I could not install all the packages due to some unmet dependencies
- I've added some code to ~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc as described in 10. of the FAQ of gnome2-globalmenu, though I'm not sure what effect this should have.