I've just done a fresh install of 11.10, + nvidia-current from xswat ppa (cause the current version shipped with ubuntu is broken for my gpu).
Please take time for understanding each steps. I don't know where to report this issue.
Installation of nvidia-current[-dev]
After installing nvidia-current and nvidia-current-dev, theses files are missing:
Both are installed into:
By default, theses are not accessible though standard path, and broke compilation to many software. (no gl.h found, then no -lGL found.)
Broken in design solution
To fix that, we need to install libgl1-dev. libgl1-dev install mesa gl.h in /usr/include/GL/gl.h and install mesa libGL.so in /usr/lib/libGL.so
With libgl1-dev, i'm able to compile gl related software. But after compilation, i can see that nvidia libGL is used:
$ ldd mysoftware libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/nvidia-current/libGL.so.1 (0x00007f620d78c000)
- we need libgl1-mesa-dev to be able to compile gl-related software by default
- we don't use nvidia header at compilation, but mesa header
- we don't use any mesa lib at runtime
- Why should i install Mesa development since i already got everything on my computer ?
- Should ubuntu need to install or symlink nvidia libs and header in standard location if mesa are not installed ?