Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I work with terminals all the time, and most of the windows opened are teminals. I would like to get them somehow organized, for example in tabs. But the problem is I open them from nautilus (Open in Remote Terminal so it opens always a new window.

Is there any tool that can keep then on one terminal window in separate tabs? I saw terminator, but that works separated from native ubuntu terminal app.

share|improve this question
ctrl+shift+t might help... – Vineet Menon Oct 12 '11 at 9:45
up vote 5 down vote accepted

If you have terminal window "A" open and terminal window "B" open. You can select window "A", then open another tab in that window with Ctrl + Shift + T. After that you can click and drag Tab "A" to "B" leaving a window with the last created tab alone and a new window with your two old windows "A" and "B" as tabs.

After this you can right click on the tabs to give them labels. I can do this with the gnome-terminal, a.k.a. the standard terminal.

enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

Then you can change the default switch to next tab to a more practical key.

enter image description here enter image description here

share|improve this answer
That's perfect, thanks a bunch! – umpirsky Oct 12 '11 at 11:13
Only strange thing is strange shortcuts in terminal. Change tab is Ctrl+Page Down. Very strange choice, Ctrl+Tab would be more appropriate. – umpirsky Oct 12 '11 at 11:17
Edit -> keyboard shortcuts -> Tabs. Swap it to what fits you. – filescraps Oct 12 '11 at 11:33
Thanks, great tip. For some reason it does not accept Ctrl+Tab :( – umpirsky Oct 12 '11 at 13:12

There is a plugin for Compiz that enables you to group and tab different windows of any kind. It's not entirely stable though. :)

The plugin is called Group and Tab and it's available in the compiz-plugins-extra package.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.