As a follow-up to my question on reducing indicator clutter and the implication that apps are supposed to group themselves under existing indicators I'd like to submit requests to one or four developers to group their apps accordingly.
What resources exist to help developers do this?
- Are there existing guidelines on where apps should group themselves?
- For example, SpiderOak and Dropbox presumably ought to follow the example of Ubuntu One, but what about Truecrypt or Transmission Remote GUI?
- Are there existing guides/tutorials on how to create a working subindicator?
- What if they use libraries other than Gnome? (For example, if they use Qt)
- Are there any known pitfalls?
- How can they easily future-proof their work?
- Would any of this work be beneficial to deployment outside Ubuntu?