Take the 2-minute tour ×
Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. It's 100% free.

I installed Ubuntu 11.04 on a 2 terabyte hard drive. After the install process I get a strange error:

   "error: no such partition”
      grub rescue ...

Is Ubuntu unable to support 2TB hard disks? Do I need to reinstall it?

share|improve this question

closed as too localized by Marco Ceppi Jan 12 '12 at 16:10

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Ubuntu can definitely support 2TB (and much larger) drives. To get help you should include information about your partition setup. Which partitions do you have and to which directories are they set? –  Kris Harper Sep 6 '11 at 17:35
i just did automatic lvm on ubuntu setup alternative CD –  Amir Ashkenazi Sep 7 '11 at 4:36
Are you still having this problem or have you resolved this? LVM should be able to handle this and so should grub. –  ppetraki Nov 22 '11 at 13:23

1 Answer 1

I suppose grub has problems reading from files that lie across non contiguous blocks in a logical volume.

My problem was grub could not boot a new kernel installed by automatic updates. Sometimes removing and reinstalling the kernel package solved the problem, sometimes not. In your case, I am suggesting grub failed to load the kernel image if it spawned non-contiguous LVM allocation blocks.

I fixed the problem creating a dedicated boot logical volume with

lvcreate --contiguous y
share|improve this answer
Hi Marco, welcome to AU. Can you improve your answer by adding a source or expanding the main hint? –  Mateng Nov 19 '12 at 21:29

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.