Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I accidentally removed some files on a NTFS partition

How can I recover them staying inside Linux without0 rebooting ?

share|improve this question

The Ubuntu Wiki has a lenghty topic on data recovery and, luckily for you, also has a segment on recovering files deleted from a NTFS partition. From that part of the link:


ntfsprogs Install ntfsprogs can recover deleted files from an NTFS file-system. The Windows and LiveCd versions have a very nice intuitive gui but the linux one is probably stronger and does not have a front-end gui at the moment.

Briefly, it has 3 modes

  1. Scan. searches for deleted files and find info about them
  2. Undelete. See below.
  3. Copy.

When undeleting chose which files to undelete and where to undelete them too. By default this appears to be the desktop of the OS you are booted into, whether that is a LiveCd or on a different partition or drive. For a LiveCd or LiveUsb you will need to move them onto Usb-stick or safe partition before rebooting as the desktop gets forgotten on LiveCds unless you are using a Persistent image.

To search

ntfsundelete /dev/sda2

To undelete

ntfsundelete /dev/sda2 -u -i 3689 -o work.doc -d ~/output

This will write all recovered files (in this case word.doc) from/dev/sda2 (be sure to find out the device name of your NTFS partition) in a directory output inside your home directory.

For better information on using ntfsundelete please see the separate page NtfsUndelete, particularly the External Links there.

Besides the part of the wiki it also contains this external link explaining NtfsUndelete with images.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.