I've got a Magic Mouse, using an Asus Bluetooth dongle.
This is a description of trying it on Natty a few months ago on a Lenovo laptop with Unity, though trying again on Precise on a desktop with Gnome Shell gives me pretty much the same results. The mouse does actually work on Lucid, though I think scroll wasn't supported back then. I try to follow the instructions here:
Though the actual BT preferences wizard diverged slightly at step 6 back when I looked at these instructions for Natty.
- I bring up the BT preferences.
- I turn on my mouse, wait for it to start blinking.
- I click "Set up new device...".
- It finds my mouse.
- I click on PIN options and set it to 0000. (note that in Lucid, I don't do this, instead it comes up as a dialog as it's pairing, which does not happen here)
- I select it and click Forward.
- It goes through its process and says it's successfully connected.
- It's now listed as a device in the BT preferences window, but the mouse is still blinking, and doesn't move my cursor.
- There's an icon, I think implying "connected", that stays on until the mouse gives up on discovery mode and shuts off. (the same icon goes away when I click "disconnect" in the preferences window)
If I try the same thing, but leave the pin on "automatic", it does the same thing, except the "connected" icon only stays on for a second.
Any idea where to go from here?