As Ubuntu and Gnome gets modernized, Xfce begins to look like a natural replacement for the "conservative Gnome" that many are used to. And even if the modern desktops are nice, some people will prefer the old ways. But can you simply switch from Gnome 2 to Xfce4 or are there things to consider? I am asking this as a single question, but it can obviously be broken down into many:
- Can I still use the app-indicators that I'm used to?
- Can I still use Gnome panel applets?
- Is it possible to use Compiz with the plugins I've been using?
- Can I use custom launchers and docks like I can in Gnome 2?
- Can I use the same themes, icons, etc?
- Is it ok to just install xubuntu-desktop on my Ubuntu install, or should I install Xubuntu from scratch?
Since I haven't done this, I don't know what questions to ask. So even if I haven't asked them, please do answer them if there are important things to consider.