On Machine A, I start Remmina (0.9.3) and create a VNC Incoming Connection profile. I picked port 5900, with a username and password. No changes under advanced or SSH. I start the profile and it says "Listening on port 5900 for an incoming VNCI connection..."
On Machine B, I start Remmina and create a VNC profile. I set machinea.local:5900 as the server, enter the username and password and leave everything else as-is. I start the profile and it says "Connecting to 'username@machinea'..."
Patience is a virtue, but half an hour later there's still nothing but those message windows.
So far I've:
- Made sure UFW isn't enabled
- Confirmed I can ping and ssh from Machine A to Machine B and vice versa
- Tried on other ports
- Tried without a username and password
- Googled aimlessly
- Made a cup of tea
Further actions taken:
- Confirmed I can successfully
telnet machinea.local 5900from Machine B (thanks Pavlos G.)
ifconfigon Machine A to get network IP address (10.0.0.x)
- Attempt ping, telnet and Remmina using IP address instead of hostname
- Confirm you're not trying to set up a reverse VNC connection
- Confirm you're using not trying to using client software as a server (doh!)