Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

After working for some time in Mac OS I realised that I quite like the position of "Command" key and various system-wide combinations it is used in, such as Command-W for closing document windows or Command-Q for quitting apps.

Form usability/ergonomics standpoint it is way more convenient for me personally to use 'Alt' or 'Command' key and not having to reach for Control key.

Since a lot of programs in Ubuntu do already support similar combinations, namely Ctrl-W/Ctrl-Q, I wanted to re-map those to be like their Mac Os counterparts.

So, I would like to do the following remap:

Ctrl-W -> Alt-W
Ctrl-Q -> Alt-Q
Ctrl-C -> Alt-C
Ctrl-V -> Alt-V


Can that be done via, say xmodmap, or any other means?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

You can switch the alt and super keys using the keyboard configuration panel. I use xmodmap to switch the left keys and do a few more things. This setup appears to be more reliable over successive system updates. Here is my annotated .xmodmap:

! xmodmap for macbook keyboard.

! Vertical and horizontal mouse/touchpad scrolls like a touch screen.
! Note that 5 4 and 7 6 are reversed.
pointer = 1 2 3 5 4 7 6 8 9 10 11 12

! Switch left command and option (super and alt).
clear mod1
clear mod4
keycode 133 = Alt_L
keycode 64 = Super_L
add Mod1 = Alt_L
add mod4 = Super_L

! Right command and option are common keys that can be remapped
! using keyboard short cuts.
keycode 134 = Menu Break
keycode 108 = Pause Clear

! Map expose and dashboard to keys that can be remapped
! using keyboard short cuts.
keycode 128 = F15
keycode 212 = F16
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.